Weddings? Meetings? We offer a variety of unique spaces for small and large groups.
Strange as it may seem, Moolah® Shrine actually had its inception in
East St. Louis, Illinois. Ten Nobles of Medinah Temple from Chicago, Illinois met weekly to dine at the Stockyard Hotel and decided to form another
Shrine Temple for St. Louis. They applied for a charter, which was issued on April 23, 1886, and became the 28th Shrine Temple so recognized in Shrinedom.
The ten Nobles who signed the petition were:
William H Mayo
John T. Nixon
E. B. Overstreet
John J. Baulch
Alman B. Thompson
Elihu T. Crandall
Robert D. Hunter
and Horace W. Hibbard.
The name “Moolah” an Arabic word meaning “Title for the one learned in teaching dignity for the law of the Koran or religion” was suggested by Noble John T. Nixon. It is not a title conferred by authority, but rather an expression of public respect. The name was adopted and has held the respect of Shriners and the public alike ever since.
In the early years, from June 20, 1894, until December 16, 1894, Moolah Shrine’s meeting were held at the Greemasons Hall, 17th and Chestnut Street. On January 20, 1897 it held its first meeting at Tuscan Hall, 28th and Washington Ave. - its last meeting being held there on March 21, 1897. Other meetings were held at Harmony Hall, Union Hall, The Mercantile Club, the West End Hall, the American Theatre and the Grand Avenue Masonic Temple Building. In 1912, Potentate Walter Ashton assisted by his officers, took action toward building a home to house Moolah Temple. On April 12, 1912, Past Potentate Herman Mauch presented a resolution to appoint a building committee, and steps were taken to form a corporation to purchase real estate and build a Temple. Articles of Incorporation and a Pro Forma Decree Charter were certified
and filed in Jefferson City on August 9, 1912.
Plans were submitted for the chosen location on Lindell Boulevard. The financing of the building construction was arranged and Ernest Helfenstellar, Jr., of Hirsh and Watson was chosen architect. Ground was broken September 11, 1912, at midnight with a ceremony illuminated by colored lighted torches. The Cornerstone was laid at midnight, October 21, 1913 with a parade starting at the Masonic Temple Building. Imperial Potentate Henry Niedringhaus, Jr., Imperial First Ceremonial Master Whiles Jacoby, Moolah Divan and Nobles participated and witnessed these ceremonies. For three years work progressed rapidly and Moolah held its first meeting in the new Temple on March 18, 1914.
Dedicatory ceremonies were held on April 25, 1914 with a class of 133 novices. In December 1920 the Temple building bonds were retired, with a final payment being made to Mississippi Valley Trust Company. This project culminated a term of nine years from January 1912 to December 1920. In 1931 East and West wings were added to enlarge quarters for the Potentate and the Divan, the Temple Office and Unit Rooms.
In 1988 Moolah® sold its facilities on Lindell and moved to a West County location on Fee Fee Road to be closer to its members’ homes and to take advantage of the growing population there to help increase its membership. The facility, which outwardly may still look like Parkway North Junior High School, has been extensively renovated and redecorated on the interior. It features a ballroom which can accommodate over 500 guests and an Oasis (or dining room) which also can handle 250 guests. Several other large meeting and social gathering rooms are available, as well as a gymnasium and Soccer field for sports activities. Shriners support what has become known as the "World's Greatest Philanthropy",
Through fellowship and philanthropy, Shrinedom strengthens the soul and adds inner-meaning to daily life. It thus spreads a glow of joy through one's entire family. Men from all walks of life and all levels of income find fun, fellowship and relaxation in their individual Shrine Temples and its activities. There are also regional Shrine Clubs in many communities, family picnics, dances and scheduled trips near and far -- just to mention a few of the activities available.
For the Noble desiring even more activity, there are various Units that he can join, such as: Drum & Bugle Corps, Swing Dance, Guides, YOMO, Gateway 500, Motor Patrol, and the Clown unit. Every effort is made to be sure a Noble has a variety of activities from which he may choose.